Warner Bros. Discovery is shutting down CNN+, according to two people familiar with the matter.
An official announcement is coming at noon ET, one of the people said. Operations will halt April 30. CNN+ leader Andrew Morse is leaving Warner Bros. Discovery, the people said.
WarnerMedia launched the standalone news service less than a month ago on March 29.
New CNN head Chris Licht has been working behind the scenes with other executives at Warner Bros. Discovery for several weeks to analyze a streaming strategy for CNN, one of the people said. The decision to shut down CNN+ is based on his recommendation, the person said. Licht will address CNN staffers at a noon meeting Thursday, one of the people said.
Warner Bros. Discovery leadership wants to use CNN programming to bolster a larger streaming bundle that will be combine the best of WarnerMedia and Discovery, as CNBC has previously reported.
This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.
Leave a Reply